Activity 2: Stocking Word Endings
Planned for Grade 1, can easily be adapted for other grades
An envelope to hold all of the pieces.
I would recommend a more durable envelope for classroom storage
- A fun way for students to review word endings (also - word families, rhyming words)
- Construction paper, markers, scissors, glue, bristol board, laminator
- Print pictures of stockings or draw stockings on red construction paper and cut them out (stockings should be at least half of a sheet of construction paper)
- Draw the white "fluff" for the top of the stocking on white construction paper and cut it out
- Glue the stockings on white bristol board and glue the white fluff at the top of the stockings. It should stick out around the top about a 1/2".
- Write the word ending at the bottom of the stocking in black marker.
- Draw or print pictures of three (or more) candy canes on white construction paper. Decorate them and cut them out.
- Write words with matching endings on the candy canes in black marker (see picture above and below)
- Glue candy canes on the bristol board
- Laminate the bristol board and cut out the stockings and candy canes.
- Cut a line with scissors or a utility knife in the middle of the white fluff leaving an inch of construction paper on each side (see picture below).
- Explain how to match the candy canes and stockings to your students.
Here is the finished product:
- Use a flower shape - Write the word ending in the middle and have words on each petal